Monday, January 11, 2010

Where Are You Going?

I am not one to make New Years resolutions, but I had a thought to maybe live, act and speak in a different in this New Year. Now it is close to being two weeks into the New Year and that goal has already come crashing down in a spectacular ball of wreckage. I know to change is a long and tough process, which is discouraging to me, at times. Lately, for some reason I have been thinking of friends and what they mean to me. I find myself thinking of a name of a friend and making a list of attributes in my head. I think about what glimpses of God I can see in their actions towards me and others. It has helped me appreciate my friendships even more. From friends, I started thinking of God and making this “list” of who God is to me. I have come up with a list that is something like this:

God is,
My teacher,
Unconditional love,
My forgiver,
My protector,
My comfort,
My deep joy,
My encouragement,
And my challenger.

I thank God for being all of these things to me. This encourages me to set challenges out for myself, not just because it is the new year but because I have a longing to grow closer with God as I live. This new year will bring me many challenges and new experiences. I have no idea where these challenges and experiences will take me.
It’s my hope that I will be reminded of what and who God is to me as I go through this year questioning, growing, and challenging myself and my faith.

1 comment:

Michael Luedemann said...

Good on you, bro. I am back in the 'toba now so we can kick up some dirt together. Good times (in a Dean Whittington voice).