Monday, August 31, 2009

Simple pleasures... Gotta love 'em.

Before the “training week” for the camp ministry team all the members were asked to fill out a “personality profile”. It was a bunch of questions and from your answers they try to dig into your personality type a little bit. I’ve never thought mine would be so accurate. It was crazy; I don’t remember a lot of what it said about me except for this: “this personality type enjoys life’s simple pleasures. Immediately they looked at me and said in one voice “chocolate milk”. It was a funny thing, but true. I do enjoy something so simple as chocolate milk, but after that I began to look for more of the things I enjoy that I didn’t pay much attention to usually. Since the summer began I’ve noticed so many things that I absolutely enjoy seeing, hearing, doing and possibly consuming. Perhaps you have some simple pleasure from life you enjoy too. It’s a good time, I know for me personally it has helped me look at things in a slightly more positive view.

I’ve noticed, that I love hearing others laugh, I love hearing others sing songs. Watching someone dance no matter how good or bad they are can always bring a smile to my face. I love listening to bird’s sing their songs, I love watching the clouds go by over head and watch as they change shape. I love listening to the wind go through the leaves, I love watching wind sweep through a field and watching the grass (or whatever is growing) dance. I love listening to water on the rocks.
I love when someone shoots me a kind smile or in some rare circumstances shoots the gun or a wink. I enjoy hearing a good story.

There are so many things big and small that I enjoy; it was one discovery I made of myself this summer. Since being home I’ve discovered more. I enjoy exchanging stories with family and friends; I enjoy my own bed in my own house. I enjoy sitting down to a good drink either alone or with a group of family and friends. One thing I discovered just today, on the way to get a slurpee (another pleasure I enjoy) is I enjoy listening to the sound of my dogs paws on the sidewalk as she walks with a springy sort of smooth going trot. Walking is something I hope to keep doing with my ol’ pooch; it will be good for both of us, probably better for me…

I can’t deny I enjoy simple things, but who doesn’t? Maybe you have some simple things you love too, Cherish them.

Shine on…

No comments: