Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I don't know... (the second)

I have started to dig into this statement “I am a Christian but I am not religious/ I hate religion.”
This statement has me confused, and I have been for quite some time.
I am starting with the basics, the definition of religion.

Religion: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects.

The body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices.

Now the definition of Christianity…

The Christian religion, including the Catholic, Protestant, and Eastern Orthodox churches.

How can someone claim to be a Christian and yet be unreligious? Looking at these definitions makes it seem impossible to me. Again I ask, do people actually know what they are saying when they claim to be a Christian and unreligious? How do you follow Christ and not practice the ways of the Christian religion? Do you practice the ways of Christianity and just call it something else? Do people say they are unreligious because religion as a whole has had a bad sound in the ears of people over the years?

This is a strange statement to make. I don’t understand how someone can say it. Which again makes me think, do people that say it actually know what they are saying or meaning?

Shine on.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

My post on this will come soon, friend.

David Rae said...

To me it seems that people try to distance themselves from the church's notorious history. That they don't agree with what the church has done. Which I would like to think is a positive, however, the solution should not be "I have no association with the church". When the individual separates themselves from the church, they are really setting themselves up for a major neglect of what it is to be Christian. Being a Christian means working with others and admitting that mankind by itself is broken. What I'm saying is that I agree with you Jesse. People who want to pursue God and follow Christ need to take on the mantle of the title and try to redeem, not scoff at it more.