Monday, March 9, 2009

I know it's cliché but Praise the Lord!

I have a thing for constantly going on myspace and checking out bands songs so I can get a feel for the sound. Usually I only check out bands that I am unfamiliar with, however, recently I went on to the Almost's myspace. I really dig this band and they haven't shown any signs of a new album... Or so I thought. Well Aaron Gillespie is at it again. He has a new album on the way. Usually a song written to appeal to the secular crowd don't catch me in the way that a praise and worship song would, but one of The Almost's new songs did. This songs lyrics definitely caught me off guard. I definitely was blown away by them.


Life has given me the comfort
i need you to make me weak
i have made my work my own, I've made it my own
and I've maybe been so alone

I can't stop this praise from moving
in an awful direction, Lord
I can't stop this hands from doing
but I don't want to anymore

I've been wrong, I've been right
but tonight I just wanna be yours

I'm planning this out to be all about me
I am broken, help me

i can't stop this praise from moving
in an awful direction, Lord
I can't stop this hands from doing
but I don't want to anymore

I've been wrong, I've been right
but tonight I just wanna be yours


I've got to let go of all this
cause it's dragging me down now.

I find myself in this position so many times. I find my self crediting my talents and skills all to myself, I find myself praising myself for what I have accomplished, I find myself doing the same things I don't like doing. So many times I focus on ME, and I find myself not searching, focusing, and praising God. I think this is something everyone struggles with. We try to get praise for what we have accomplished, or for our talents, and abilities. We focus on ourselves. Instead of focusing and crediting God.
I love the line "I've got to let go of all this, 'cause it's dragging me down now." I find myself thinking this same thing so often. We all have things we need to let go of so we can just focus on God. We need to let go of our own selfish ambition for praise, and our need to be first, we all need to let go of the sins we keep committing and just allow ourselves to be used by God.
Maybe I'm totally missing the meaning of this song, I don't know for sure, these are just my reflections on this particular song.
I encourage everyone to let go of their pride and desire for praise, and just give God the glory for our talents, and abilities.

Enjoy life and take the Lord along for the ride and be blessed.

No comments: