Saturday, June 13, 2009

****er isn't always a bad word.

Alright, I may be crossing the line with the title of this one but... Yeah. Suffer, It's not a bad word in Christianity. I hear so many teachings and "reflections" from people who say things along the lines of "if you have enough faith and believe, you won't suffer."
Suffering has somehow become a bad word in Christianity. Is it suddenly wrong to think God can't use suffering to teach us something? People seem to think that if we suffer there's a chance we can fall away from our faith. Maybe so, but there is also a chance that our faith can become stronger, and we can come out of the whole experience gaining wisdom. I was recently sitting with my mom while she was watching a program on t.v. called "Living Truth". I happen to like the pastor Charles Price. The program went to the usual praise reports, and other letters that have been sent in, this is usually when I go top up my chocolate milk glass. However, as I was heading out of the living room I happen to hear one of the letters.

"Suffering has become almost a bad word in Christianity. This was not the case for me, I believe God taught me a lot through sickness."

This caught my attention, and got me to thinking.
Why have we come to think of suffering as something bad, a punishment or even something evil? Haven't so many of us suffered in some way or another, and gained a stronger faith from it? Why don't we like to think that God can use suffering of some kind to strengthen us?
Any thoughts?

Be real and shine on.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

****er!? I saw that title and clicked the link to your blog all the faster :P.

But its true, time in and again I hear it as well. (Probably hearing it from the same people you do.) Yet comeon, I will be quick to attest that in suffering you may fall by the wayside for that has happened to me. Yet at the same time it took suffering to smack me upside the head and to realise that I was off the path. To say that I am suffering because of a wrong doing is crazy talk.

Keep on Keepin on.