Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Autumn

Fall is here, and not much has changed for me. It seems as if I never leave the sod farm, only to come home for a short nights sleep then back to work I go. It seems I don’t get to see much of my family or closest friends anymore. I am constantly sitting in a tractor or standing on the back of one. It has been like this since the end of August, working in the heat of the day and returning home late at night.

There is one thing that is different from August, the cool, crisp fall air has come and settled in. It feels as if in one quick night I went from wearing shorts and a t-shirt to thick jeans, work boots, sweaters, toques and anything else I can find for some warmth. Harvesting has slowed down a bit over the past week so I’m usually sitting in a tractor mowing the fields. For once I don’t mind being out at the farm. I don’t enjoy sitting in the same spot for long hours but I enjoy the clear cool fall days. Looking at the once green forest that has now turned into a medley of reds, oranges and yellows, watching as the leaves that have already fallen off the trees skip across the field on the tips of the dancing grass. Every so often I jump out to stretch my legs and to clean the thatch off the mowers, the cool air and nippy wind soon have me retreating to the warmth of the tractor. It doesn’t have a heater but it breaks the wind and the sun does a nice job of heating up the cab. When the sun drops behind the trees and I am under a vast moonlit sky, I always look up hoping that tonight will be the night I catch a glimpse of the northern lights for the first time in what seems to be forever. To say the job of sod farming has grown on me would be a lie, I would still prefer to be at home or to go out with family of friends, but fall is keeping me positive for the days. Sitting in a tractor for long hours isn’t all bad when I can observe the season while listening to Keb’ Mo’ and Dave Matthews… Ah fall.

No comments: