Sunday, August 31, 2008

Serving others.

Today at church today, the message was on Servant-hood. We read the story in John 13, when Jesus washes the feet of the disciples feet. What blew my mind was, the fact that this man, who came to save the world, took the place of a serevant and washed feet. Jesus even washes the feet of Judas, the man who betrays Him. After Jesus has finished washing everyones feet, he says... "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. (13)"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. (14)Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. (15)I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. (16)I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. (17) Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them"(John 13:13-17). When I read this I think of the movie "Pay It Forward" for some reason. God tells us to in turn wash one another's feet. We need to be servants to people, even to people who we are really that fond of. Jesus washed the feet of the man who betrays Him. God knew that Judas was going to betray Him. What could someone do to us that could possobly be worse? We, can't just go on our "merry way" and only serve people, when it's convenient for us. It's really hard to be a servant to people sometimes, especially if we don't really like that person all that much. But God tells us, that we will be blessed if we are. Now we shouldn't just go out and be servants just so we get blessed later on. I think that if we truly want to be servants we shouldn't be thinking about how we can benefit from it. But we should do it for the other person.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

This is so true! I love that story in John 13.. When I first started going to church and I heard that story it really blew me away and gave me a whole new perspective on what Christianity is really all about. It's about a God who gave everything He had because He's totally in love with us. The least we can do is love Him back. In order to do that we have to love and serve others because the Bible tells us that what we do to the least of these we do to Him.

You have such good thoughts on here! I really enjoyed reading these. :)